Saturday, August 13, 2011

Letters After Our Names

Recently, I applied for a job with an area college that would have me doing very similar work as to what I do now. The position required a Master's degree, with a Ph.D preferred. I have two Bachelor's degrees, so obviously this was an impediment. I sent my resume anyway, since my experience so closely aligned with the job description. Meanwhile, a friend who knew someone at the college asked her acquaintance if someone with my education would have a chance of landing the job. She was told no, that my lack of an advanced degree would result in a complete lack of respect among my would-be colleagues and superiors. "They wouldn't even take her seriously," she said.

Upon hearing this, I was understandably offended. It seemed that my lack of an advanced degree would not be an obstacle to successfully performing the duties of the job, but rather it would fail to satisfy the elite expectations of those in charge. I truly understand the value of a quality education, as well as the importance of certain credentials for certain jobs. (I would not want someone without a medical degree performing surgery on me). If I had a Ph.D., you bet I would be proud if it. However, I've met more than a few folks whose academic credentials mask an utter absence of common sense and people skills. There are times when having letters after one's name is nothing more than...well, letters.

After I got over my feathers being ruffled, I was reminded of the manner in which God engages His children in the work of His kingdom. While God uses individuals of all skill levels, with all manner of academic achievements, He is perhaps best known for using the "least" among us to accomplish His greatest works. Throughout history, God has consistently used the weak to lead the strong and the humble to overtake the powerful. I fall somewhere in the middle, yet I know that God also has a purpose for my life. My ultimate job is to serve Him and His children.

All of this has brought about a great peace within me that has permeated my job search. I am confident that God will lead me where I am meant to go, and when I get there, I will do my work with an eye on His will for my life and for His kingdom. In the meantime, I just might add some letters after my name: D.O.C., Disciple of Christ. I dare any Ph.D. to challenge the power of that credential. After all, Christ is not a "philosophy." He is the Way and the Truth and the Life.


No comments:

Post a Comment