Friday, August 19, 2011

Being Still

"Obedience is the fruit of faith; patience, the bloom on the fruit." ~ Christina Rossetti

I don't know about you, but I have a hard time being patient sometimes. I often get frustrated by the little things, such as traffic not moving as quickly as I'd like, or the satellite connection for my TV not rebooting fast enough. Other times, I grumble about the bigger things in life, wondering when certain milestones will be reached, if ever. As faithful as I try to be in my daily life, I am continually guilty of allowing myself to get caught up in the frantic speed of modern life. Can you relate? "There never seem to be enough hours in the day." How many times have you said or heard that? We count on certain things happening at certain times, and when they don't, our schedules (and sometimes our lives) are thrown off track.

I have a Bible verse on the wall of my family room at home. It's Psalm 46:10 - "Be still and know that I am God. I will be exalted among the nations. I will be exalted in the earth." It's a daily reminder to me that God is in control, so I need only look to Him and be still. Being still is not easy for most of us, certainly not for me. But it can be done.

Last month, my daughter and I visited some friends in Colorado. As we neared the top of Pike's Peak on the cog railroad, I was so overcome by the glory of God's creation, I cried right there in the packed train car. Suddenly, none of the things I fret about in daily life mattered one bit. In that moment, I was fully immersed in the glorious simplicity of being still in God's presence. That very same night, I was awestruck by the sheer number of stars in the sky, having never seen such a sight in the skies over Southwest Ohio.

We don't have to be in the midst of the Rocky Mountains to rest in God's glory. We need only remember that God is our Father, Jesus is our Savior, and the Holy Spirit dwells within us, no matter where we are. If such truth doesn't stop us in our tracks and move us to tears, nothing will. Be still, friends, and know that He is God.

No comments:

Post a Comment