Sunday, August 28, 2011

The Beauty of Fellowship

Today, Pastor Norm spoke about the different steps we should all take as believers in fulfilling the mission and vision of Christ Church, and of God's call for us in the world. One of those steps is engaging in genuine fellowship. I used to think that our time as Christians is better spent among those who don't know Christ, that our only purpose is to get out there and spread the Good News to those who need to hear it. Why spend time among fellow believers? Isn't that the equivalent of "preaching to the choir?"

These questions I used to ask to myself and to others were a way to mask what was lacking within me. I've known all my life that true fellowship is essential to maintaining and growing one's faith, but I was too ashamed of my lack of faith to show it to others. (Wouldn't they be able to tell that I was a fraud?) When I did engage in fellowship, it was far from genuine for me. And my claims that spreading the Good News to others is our only purpose as Christians...well, I knew in my heart that I had never spoken a word of Jesus to unbelievers, because deep down inside, I was one of them. Oh, the power of Satan when we allow him to control us!

Now that Jesus is so much more to me than a Sunday school story, I depend on fellowship to keep me going. Just like exercise programs are so much more successful if they include a buddy system, so too is the strength and power of our faith if we surround ourselves with those who will encourage us and keep on the straight path. The disciples spent a great deal of time spreading the Word to others, but think of how much time they spent together and with Jesus. It wasn't just because they liked each other and enjoyed hanging out. They needed each other for the important work they were called to do. We need each other just as much.

Fellowship brought me out of a deep poverty of faith and utter starvation for God. Now that I've allowed Jesus into my heart and my life, I depend deeply on fellowship for encouragement and discipline. Few things are more profound than a rebuke from a brother or sister in Christ, and few things are as important as learning and growing from it. Certainly, few things are as powerful as followers of Christ who strive to know, love and serve Him more.

Yes, we are commanded to share the Good News with those who do not yet know or accept it. But there's a reason that Christianity thrives, despite the continual assaults against it - there's unparalleled power in the body of Christ when we choose to support each other in faith. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment