Monday, March 4, 2013

A Time and a Place

 
“I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me.  The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.” (Galatians 2:20)

A few weeks ago, I met with a politician as a requirement of my job, a meeting that I regarded going into as a “growth experience” (meaning that I was not exactly looking forward to it).  I’ve had very little personal experience with politicians, and what I know of them is…well…not positive.  More importantly, I am not by nature one who is good at “schmoozing” with others.  But, with talking points in mind from my colleagues and dressed for the part, I met with this man.  An hour later, I emerged from my meeting having failed miserably in meeting my objective.

Just this past weekend, a woman who might be considered a telemarketer called my house asking if I’d like to renew the satellite radio connection I have in my car.  On par with my displeasure in speaking with politicians is speaking with telemarketers, so this was yet another conversation into which I entered reluctantly.  Ten minutes later, I hung up having purchased another year of commercial-free listening for my traveling pleasure.   To say that it is rare for me to purchase anything over the phone is an understatement.

These two encounters were, on the surface, highly uncomfortable and completely out of character for me.  But they also had something most welcome and unexpected in common – Jesus was on the agenda. 

In introducing ourselves, the politician spoke of his faith and how it has influenced his work, leading to a nearly hour-long discussion about Jesus.  With time running out, I did manage to slip in at least some of what I had come to talk about, but mostly I had to laugh.  When my newfound brother in faith asked why I was laughing, I said, “I have no idea what to tell my colleagues that you and I discussed.”  He looked me square in the eye and said with thoughtful sincerity, “Tell them that we talked about Jesus Christ.”  Indeed.

While discussing the benefits of renewing my radio connection, I told the telemarketer that I do enjoy satellite radio because my travels often take me in and out of reception for local stations.  She asked me what station I liked to listen to.  In my reply, I indicated that my choice of station usually depends on my mood, but that most often I listen to the Christian rock station.  “Oh!’ she exclaimed, “have you heard that song ’10,000 Reasons’?”  This sparked several minutes of comparing our favorite songs, until she realized that our call was being recorded for quality assurance purposes and that she’d better get back to business.  (I should add that she gave me a discount).

We have been socialized to avoid open discussions about faith with certain people and in certain situations.  While meeting with a politician on work time?  No way!  When speaking with a telemarketer?  Not a chance!  There are numerous other examples we could cite as being off-limits to talk of Jesus.  But if I truly love Jesus, if I am committed to following Him anywhere, then there are no limits.  If Christ comes before all else – before my work and my luxuries – then He must be granted free reign in all places.  Most importantly, Jesus has not just saved me and redeemed me, but He loves me daily with a love that is beyond compare.  How can I be silent about such love?

When is the right time to talk about Jesus?  Anytime.  Where is the right place?  Anywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment