Thursday, March 22, 2012

Doing What's Right

It’s not always easy to do the right thing, is it? Sometimes doing what’s right puts us at odds with influential people, it exposes us as being “different,” or it can even put us in danger. For most of us, hesitating or failing to do the right thing is not as much about being selfish as it is about being afraid. Peter was a faithful disciple of Christ, yet even he denied Jesus when his life was in danger. It’s very human of us to be persuaded by our fears.

In a previous job, I worked with an executive director who was misusing grant monies that funded the program of which I was in charge. When I confronted her about it, I was given a nickname that I cannot repeat here and I was frequently reminded that I was employed at will. In other words, I could be fired at any moment for no reason. I wrestled with my fear of losing my job and my obligation to do what was right – which were squarely at odds with one another. Finally, I chose to do what was right. I notified the office that administered the grant in question – none other than the Attorney General. I suddenly found myself in the unexpected and uncomfortable position of being a whistleblower. The ensuing weeks were tense to say the least, but in the end my program and my job survived, and the executive director was asked to leave. It was a powerful lesson for me. Unfortunately not all such stories have happy endings.

Whether it’s something as dramatic as confronting corruption in the workplace, or something as simple as refusing to allow someone to speak ill of another person in our presence, we are constantly presented with opportunities to do the right thing. Like anything in life, we grow more comfortable doing what’s right the more frequently we do it. The more we practice it, the more likely it is to become a habit. Yet unlike exercising, for example, which is a habit most folks think is admirable and worthwhile, we are not always supported or accepted when we get in the habit of doing the right thing. Sometimes such a habit puts a target on our backs.

Fortunately, we have a tried and true blueprint for what it means to do the right thing. This blueprint tells us exactly the things we should and should not do, including a wide variety of real-life examples. It tells us about the challenges we can expect to encounter along the way and how to overcome them. Best of all, it gives us a Teacher and Counselor to advise us and encourage us each step of the way, no matter what circumstances we may face. How fortunate we are to have God’s Word at our fingertips!

Like Peter, I have stumbled and fallen at critical moments, stifled by my fears. Sometimes I shrug off a “small” opportunity to do the right thing and later feel convicted by my guilt. Although we all fail at times, if we cling to God’s Word doing what’s right will eventually become a habit. We may not always be rewarded by earthly means. Sometimes we may even be punished, but we can have confidence that our Father is pleased with us. Besides, our ultimate reward is literally out of this world.

No comments:

Post a Comment