Monday, January 30, 2012

Making Joyful Noises

I love that the Bible tells us to "make a joyful noise unto the Lord," rather than "make beautiful, melodious noises unto the Lord." You see, I dearly love to sing, but my talent falls far short of my desire. As many of the ladies in the choir will likely confirm, I can sing a small set of notes within the alto range, but only if I have other, stronger voices and/or a CD to guide me. If I were forced to sing a solo, I would sound as off-key as the poor folks in "American Idol" auditions who erroneously believe they have talent.

A couple of years ago, I read the book "90 Minutes in Heaven," by Don Piper, a true account of a minister who died in a car accident and spent an hour and a half in Glory before returning to life on earth in his revived body. I am deeply moved by Mr. Piper’s frustration in finding words adequate enough to describe what heaven is like. One of his descriptions that is especially difficult to comprehend – but no less thrilling – is of the sound in heaven. He describes it as too many voices to count and too many instruments to identify, all endlessly singing and playing different glorious tunes that somehow meld together to create the most perfect noise imaginable. Such untamed noise would be agonizing to us here on earth, but in heaven it is as perfect as the One to whom it is directed. How wondrous a thought!

Of course, it is not just music that creates a joyful noise. As Amy Grant reminds us in her song "Better than a Hallelujah," God longs to hear our voices lifted to Him in a variety of ways – including from the depths of our sorrow. If the noise we create is directed towards communing with our God, He is not concerned with how pretty it sounds. Just as looking put-together and stylish for worship is meaningless to God, so too is the package in which our praise is presented. Any noise lifted to Him from a humble and grateful heart is in perfect pitch.

For many years, I drove forty minutes each way to and from my job. My route took me through mostly rural areas where I felt free to belt out whatever song came across my radio. Songs by Casting Crowns were my favorites, drawing the attention of many a passing cow over the years. Now, I travel a much shorter and busier route to work. I’m still adjusting to the sideways glances and looks of amusement I elicit from other drivers, ever self-conscious of how I must look and sound. Added to that is my daughter’s brutally honest assessment of my singing when we’re at home: when I sing, she covers her ears. It’s enough to humble anyone into silence!

Regardless of what fellow travelers, cows, or even my daughter may think, I have no intention of being quiet. After all, I’m not auditioning in front of millions of TV viewers on "American Idol." If God is the One to whom I sing, then the quality of my voice does not matter. He will not tell me to hire a vocal coach and try again next year. When we all make a joyful noise unto the Lord, we become part of the gloriously perfect melody of His creation, faithfully rehearsing for the choir of the heavenly host. It is silence from God’s people, not noise, that is deafening.

So, sing away, fellow travelers on God’s road! Let me know if you need an alto for your song…

No comments:

Post a Comment